Saudi Suspects Overwhelm Iraqi Legal System
Iraqi Official: 160 Saudi Suspects Tried, Hundreds More in Prison Awaiting Trial
Riyadh, Jul 15, (VOI) – Over 160 Saudis were tried in Iraq and hundreds are still awaiting trial, Iraqi National Security Advisor Muwafaq al-Rubaie said in an interview with the Jeddah-based Okaz newspaper.
On the official number of Saudis in Iraq, al-Rubaie revealed that hundreds of Saudis have entered Iraq after the U.S-led invasion in 2003.
“Many of them were killed in suicide operations and others are still being held in Iraqi prisons and detention camps, in addition to those killed during the past four years,” he added.
“The issue was open for discussion with Saudi officials and we set up a hotline with them to follow up on developments,” al-Rubaie said in reference to Saudi prisoners in Iraq.
Commenting on terrorism-inciting fatwas (religious edicts), al-Rubaie said that both sides agreed on the necessity of condemning fatwas justifying or promoting terrorism.
During the interview, al-Rubaie indicated that Iraq’s stability is part and parcel of the region’s stability, adding, “What threatens Iraq’s security will directly threaten Saudi Arabia’s.”
He said that most of the recruits for armed groups in Iraq are Saudis who came from neighboring countries.
“These groups receive training in Iraq and return to Saudi Arabia to threaten Saudi civilians,” he said.
Describing the visit of an Iraqi security delegation that he led to Saudi Arabia last week as a success, al-Rubaie said the delegation met with high-ranking security and political officials and discussed ways to bolster security cooperation between the two countries.